1. When can I apply for a Older Person's Bus Pass?
The age eligibility is the same as a woman's pensionable age for both men and women. Visit the Gov.uk website to find out when you will be eligible. You can also check your age eligibility by using the State Pension Calculator. Age of eligibility is gradually changing from 60 to 66. You can apply for your bus pass 28 days in advance of your eligibility date.
2. How long is my bus pass valid for?
The expiry date can be found on the bus pass and is dependent on the evidence submitted. However, most passes are valid for a maximum of 5 years.
3. How long will it take to get my bus pass?
The pass will be posted to you. If your application is successful, then new cards should be received within 7 working days. If you applied in the 28 days before you are eligible it may take longer but we will aim for your pass to be with you for once you become eligible. If there is a problem with your application we will send you an email to the address registered to your account.
4. I am moving house do I need to change my bus pass?
If you are moving out of the local authority area you should return your bus pass to the address printed on the reverse with a note explaining why it has been returned. You should re-apply to the local authority you are moving to.
5. Where and when can I use my pass?
You can use your pass anywhere in England but not Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.
The statutory times of use are 9.30am - 11pm Monday to Friday and at all times at weekends and public holidays.
6. I am having problems logging in, what account should I use?
The concessionary pass system is a separate online system from other Darlington Borough Council systems (e.g. Council Tax, Green Waste etc.). If you have never had a bus pass before, you will need to register for an online account and apply for one.
7. What if I share an email address with another pass holder such as my husband/wife/partner?
For data security reasons and to reduce the risk of fraud, it is not possible to create more than one bus pass account with the same email address. If you share an email address with someone who has already created an account you can either:
8. How long does my password have to be?
Your password should contain at least 8 characters and combine uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers and symbols.
9. How do I renew a pass that has expired or is due to expire in the next 28 days?
If you have a pass that has already expired, or is due to expire in the next 28 days, you will need to set up an account using a renewal code. You can look up your renewal code using the lookup on the 'Login Or Register' page.
10. Is your website accessible to users with disabilities / of assistive technologies?
Please see the Accessibility Statement below:
This website is run by South West Smart Applications Ltd on behalf of Darlington Borough Council. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
South West Smart Applications Ltd is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below.
This website was last tested for accessibility on 06/05/20 and is tested annually to ensure it reflects the latest standards.
The content listed below is non-accessible:
Non-compliance with the accessibility regulations
- Not all images use an [img] tag.
- Page titles are not unique or sufficiently descriptive.
- Headings are not nested properly.
- Not all links can be understood without context.
- The purpose of some inputs cannot easily be identified.
The above items will be resolved before the next test.
- Errors associated with form elements are unclear.
- The language of the page is not set.
The above items will be reviewed in the next test.
Reporting Problems with Web Accessibility
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems related to disability web access not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, please write to us at:
Smart Applications Management
3 The Crescent